For as long as I can remember Fruit Mince Pies have been part of my families holiday tradition. Cupcake size pies made of shortcrust pastry, filled with spices, dried fruit and dusted with icing sugar. When I decided to go vegan 2 years ago this was one of the things I missed the most. I was never able to find any locally and never thought to try making my own as the pastry seemed too difficult.
Flash forward to last week when I returned home from work to the home smelling of cinnamon, sugar and freshly baked pies. My wonderful husband had baked me a huge batch of fruit mince pies using store bought pastry and I couldn't stop smiling.
I wanted to share what made me smile this season with you and so here is Liam's recipe for:
Vegan Fruit Mince Pies
What you need:
1 Jar of traditional fruit mince (We used Robertsons)
2 Sheets frozen ready made vegan shortcrust pastry (If you check the packet many of them are- we used Borgs)
Clean coffee cup
Vegan margarine (we used Nutlex)
How to make them:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Take the sheets of pastry out from the freezer and leave to one side to defrost for 5 minutes
3. Rub a little margarine around the inside of the muffin tin to stop the pies from sticking
4.Place the cofffee mug on top of the pastry and cut around to make little circles of pastry. You will need two per pie. Make sure your coffee cup is big enough so when the circle is placed in the tin the edge come up to make the side of each pie.
5. Place circles in the muffin tin
6. Fill with fruit mince
7. Take the other circles you made and place on top of each pie
8. Pinch the sides of each pie and the rim of each lid together
9.Bake at 180 degrees for 30 mins or until golden
10. Dust with icing sugar
11. Eat entire tray of pies
We hope you are having a wonderful festive season and enjoy making one of my favourite Christmas snacks.